Rotational behavior is often used as an index of pharmacological/dopaminergic performance in animals subjected to brain lesions that induce rotational behavior. Rotat-Count is a thirty-two station rotation monitoring system that records full and partial turning motion small laboratory animals. In practice, the subject wears a harness to which a light and flexible tether has been affixed. The tether is secured to a rotary encoder that monitors the angular direction of the subject. The rotary encoder shaft is supported by ball bearings, which require less than five inch-ounces of torque, and is not an obstacle to the subject's normal motion. The rotary encoder resolves each revolution into 100 parts (3.6 degrees). The Rota-Count monitors both clockwise and counter-clockwise turning behavior. Each Rota-Count unit monitors 8 subjects. Up to four Rota-Count 8 units connect together using standard category 5 network/communication patch cables.
The Rota-Count is supplied with Windows 10/11 software to install on a PC or Laptop computer for collection of experiment data and disk file storage in .CSV format. The software monitors full and partion revolutions. Partial revolutions are defined by the operator and can be set from 15 to 180 degrees in increments of 15 degrees. The operator has the option to enter individual subject comments as well as general experiment comments. The experiment control display provides a view of the running tabulation of rotational scores for each subject during the execution of an experiment. A 'Staggered Start' feature allows the operator to individually initiate data collection from each animal. This capability gives sufficient flexibility that a sole operator may prepare and monitor multiple subjects. A 'Simultaneous Star' is supported if all active subjects require a common starting time.
Features / Specifications
- Monitors 1 to 32 subjects
- Records full and partial rotations / turns
- Rotation sensors support mounting to custom cages.
- Windows 95/98/XP program supports simultaneous or staggered start.
- Interfaces to PC or Laptop computer via RS-232 serial port.
- Results are saved to a .CSV file for export to spreadsheet programs.
- Supports up to 32 subjects
- Resolves rotational data to 3.6 degrees
- Partial Rotation Setting: 15 degree increments
- Data Collection: RS-232 to computer
Rota-Count Rotation Monitor
- 0232-8000 Rota-Count Master Control Unit for 8 Sensors
- 0232-4160 Rota-Count Bowl Cage with Rotation Sensor (14" diameter, 4.25" height)
- 0232-4161 Rota-Count Cylindrical Cage with Rotation Sensor (12" diameter, 13" height)
- 0232-4070 Rota-Count Rodent Harness for <150g animal [5045-0000]
- 0232-4071 Rota-Count Rodent Harness for 150-250g animal [5045-0001]
- 0232-4072 Rota-Count Rodent Harness for 250-350g animal [5045-0002]
- 0232-4073 Rota-Count Rodent Harness for 350-500g animal [5045-0003]
Papers coming soon, presently in peer review.